parallax background

ZUCCHINI FOR THE WIN!

Fall is my favourite season for almost everything. Style, food, trips. I like cleaning out my closet at this time of year, I love fall more than any other season. This year I had a tougher than usual start to the season. All within the same few days I had a UTI, a migraine that lasted for about 18 hours and induced some vomiting and to top it off I had my period all at the same time. Sorry for the fellas that do read my blog, but us females have these things happen, ya know. So, to say the least, it was quite the week.

Grocery shopping is an absolute favourite activity of mine. I love everything about it, I even love reading the ingredient labels, LOL, but considering how I was feeling I had zero intentions on leaving my bed. And that is when I discovered Kiki's produce delivery. Like, hi, everyone, I just became a citizen of 2017 and I get to sit back, relax and become part of 'let us bring your produce to you' delivery trend! This couldn't have come at a better time. Now, I'm not saying I will be making this a regular thing, because I truly do enjoy roaming around the grocery store and feeling up avocados before buying 'em, but it is convenient as heck for those times you're not feeling 100%.

What I loved the most about ordering from Kiki's is that they included some goodies at no extra cost, such as fresh dates (which, why the heck have I never tried until now), some vegan garbanzo curry and wild mushroom chips. I guess they assumed I live mostly off plants based on my choice in groceries. I decided to stuff some zucchinis for a dinner I had because stuffing vegetables is such an easy process for me and it does not take much time. I accompanied my dish with a falafel salad I created on the spot, all with ingredients and produce I ordered from Kiki's.

Stuffed Zucchini Halves:

3 zucchinis
4 cloves garlic
1 large yellow or white onion
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
4 medium to large tomatoes

First, turn the oven on to 375, cut the zucchinis in half and carefully scoop out the inside of it using either a paring knife or small teaspoon. Place everything you've scooped out on the side on the cutting board. Place the zucchinis face down in the oven and turn every 7-10 minutes until it is light brown and soft. In the meantime, in a medium or large saucepan sauté the garlic in olive oil, once the garlic is medium brown add the onion and tomatoes, after about 5 minutes add in the scooped out zucchini. Sauté for about 20 minutes while stirring often until everything is cooked, should be a medium brown colour. In the meantime do not forget to add herbs, spices and salt. I used whatever I had in my cupboards, oregano, rosemary, parsley and salt. Take the zucchini halves outta the oven, drizzle with some olive oil and salt (if you'd like to, I like a bit of salt in my cooking, but you can completely make it salt and oil free if your taste buds agree with the flavour), and stuff the zucchini halves. Place back in the oven for about 5 minutes and VOILA! Finito! For the Falafel salad I used the already made local falafels from Kiki's, falafels have a lot of ingredients and I don't like making anything that has more than 5 ingredients. Sometimes I buy them fresh from falafel food trucks, $5 for 12 freshly made falafels saves me the time and nerves to mix all these ingredients together. In my salad I used green lettuce, olives, peppers, mint, cilantro, cucumbers and mixed it all with olive oil and fresh lemon juice. I added the baked falafels and drizzled with a tahini and lemon juice dressing I made on the spot. It was delish. The mix of cilantro and mint together was absolutely superb. So refreshing and filling.

Have you ever used Grocery Delivery companies? If yes, feel free to comment and share some meals you've made with the groceries.
_Y1C9905
_Y1C9929
_Y1C9949
_Y1C0025
_Y1C0028
_Y1C0027
_Y1C0030

26 Comments

1. Amanda says:

I normally do not like to eat zucchini but I have recently enjoyed eating it roasted.

2. Shibani says:

In my country grocery delivery with online order has started popularity recently only though we haven’t used it yet. I blame it to the close market place, and a departmental store at the end of our residence block. But I have heard these online stores offer great discounts, and I think its high we should try it too!!

3. Paola says:

It looks so yummy and simple to make! Definitely going to try it out, thanks for this recipe!

4. Cia Black says:

I am a huge fan of Zucchini. While I haven’t made this recipe I make one simple called Zucchini boats. During the summer months the zucchini is so cheap at farmers stands that I include it in everything and am always in search for a new way to cook it. I’ll have to add this to my zucchini folder. Yes I have a folder of recipes for it that’s how much i love this summer veggie

5. Tiffany Yong says:

Wait a minute, how did the diced zucchini turn from salad-looking to yummy golden in one picture! They look completely different. My bf who doesn’t like zucchini might be tricked into going for the final dish! tee hee~

6. Ithfifi says:

You’ve just reminded me I really need to eat more Zucchini, I never know what to do with them (Not that long I ago I tried steaming them, I got a very icky mess..) The way you’ve cooked yours in the oven sounds delicious!

7. Kelly says:

This looks so good!! Anything with zucchini is a win for me!!

8. Nicole Flint says:

Zucchini is my fave!! This looks very simple and easy to make for someone like myself who can’t cook.

9. Amy Dong says:

I haven’t used grocery delivery companies yet, but I’ve purchased for friends when they needed the help. It’s so useful when someone just can’t get to the store, to have it delivered right to your door instead!

10. Liz says:

Oooh this looks delicious! I haven’t ever done a grocery delivery service yet, but I’ve gone in with some friends for some CSA subscriptions, and for a while there was a mobile farmer’s market that came to my office (yup, we have food trucks AND farmer’s market trucks! Well…we did. It was glorious while the farmer’s market truck lasted.) If I were ever home during normal meal times I’d totally do a grocery delivery service though 🙂

11. kristal says:

Zucchini is the best veggie that you can do a lot with and I need to try this. It will be good for sure.

12. First thing i must say is that these pictures sell the entire post. They are so clean…back to the post. It looks like something i would try. I am not a fan of zucchini but i would love to try this recipe.

13. Oh, my mother loves making dishes with zucchini. But none of her’s ever looked this incredible. These pictures completely sell your recipes! I must try them out!

14. Joanna says:

I love stuffed zucchinis! In my country we cut them the other way around and fill them with a combination of onions, mince meat, tomatoes and the flesh of the vegetable. They are so good, definitely an autumn dish.

15. Stuffed zucchini is the bomb!!!! Thanks so much for this recipe. I always forget about stuffed zucchini! Lol

16. Katie says:

This looks yummy. I love your food photos, so pretty!

17. Linda says:

I love zucchinis, that’s a great recipe!
    Let me tell you that I truly understand you for your maigrines…. I’m suffering from them since I remember myself as a child. It gets as bad as you mentioned – with vomitting and pain for the whole day! In case you haven’t discovered – sometimes coke helps in case you manage to drink it on a very early stage.

18. Chei says:

First time I heard Zucchini (am not a kitchen woman, I may say). But this recipe looks easy and yummy.

19. PJ says:

Beautiful photography! In college, someone gave me a recipe for “Zucchini Boats,” I tried it, but it was so intensive, I threw my hands up mid way. Your recipe sounds much easier and tastier than the boat one!

20. Elizabeth O says:

Zucchini looks so easy and delicious recipe. I will definitely be pinned this out.